First they will ask you why you do it, then they will as you how you do it.


Wednesday 18 April 2012

Never be afraid to say yes.

Now kids, this does not give you permission to do crazy stuff and blame it on me.I don't know how old you'll be when you read this but trust me when I tell you that it won't excuse what you've done. 

If you broke or lost something just tell me before I find out and get cross. IF it's more serious then start thinking about how you are going to make it better.

But what you need to know is that opportunity will knock for you lots of times in your life and if you want to do anything great, you're going to have to say yes sometimes.

For me, one opportunity came early in 2012 when I was asked to take part in the Strongman Run in Germany on May 5th. Now taking part in any event is a huge dedication of time for training and competing. When you have a family, time is something that can be hard to come by. But when the event is over a weekend and involves foreign travel and flights, you're asking for a huge commitment form everyone else as well.

The strongman run is an insane event, my first event which wasn't just about running, but also included a number of obstacles and challenges. Kids, all those doubts you have about yourselves are totally normal, anyone who says otherwise is lying, trust me. But what you need to know is that most of the things limiting your potential are put in place by you. If you can overcome them you can accomplish anything. By this time in my life running had taught me that I could accomplish a lot more than I ever thought I could. So when I was asked to join Team GB, my instinct was to say no, but I grabbed the opportunity and said yes.



It's still a couple of weeks off yet and to be honest, I'm nervous as hell. I think it's a parents job to lead by example. You don't see the lack of confidence or the huge self doubt that you fell before taking part in a challenge. But let me assure you kids, it happens to all of us to varying degrees.

How does this story end, I don't know, I'll get to that. 

For now, just know that it's good for you to believe that you can achieve great things. And to do that, sometimes you are going to have to say yes.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Dan and a great idea to write it for your kids, love it!

    ReplyDelete